As part of a Multi-disciplinary team within the Frameworks Agreement with Fingal County Council, SYSTRA was appointed to undertake the Traffic and Movement related tasks of Swords Masterplans. For the following areas: Barrysparks & Crowscastle, Fosterstown and Estuary West.
Swords is strategically located close to Dublin Airport and has excellent access to the national road network (M50 and M1). Already home to some of the largest employers in the County, Swords is a high functioning employment centre. The proposed route for MetroLink through Swords will further enhance and strengthen Swords’ strategic location.
The Swords Masterplan lands will accommodate a mix of commercial, community and residential development, which will support the settlement as a key location for investment. The strategic employment land bank at Barrysparks & Crowscastle has the potential to support c.180,000 sq.m of commercial floorspace and c.14,500 - 15,500 jobs, while the Estuary West Masterplan area has the potential to support c.18,000 - 20,000 sq.m of commercial space along with c.1,500-1,600 jobs. Combined with high quality residential development and strong transport connections, the Masterplan areas will be capable of attracting top-tier employers and play a key role in the economic life of the Region.
SYSTRA was responsible for the delivery of the following services:
Preparation of a Movement and Access Paper to determine:
- Existing transport provision, demand and land use.
- Future transport investment: public transport (BusConnects and Metrolink), walking and cycling network, and road network.
- Forecast growth, pre and post metro scenario.
- Best practice for transport orientated developments (TODs) and upgrading urban bypasses.
- Movement and network review: analysis for the demand for travel and network performance.
- Transport Framework Plans: for each masterplan we set out the high-level access requirements for each mode, considerations for improvement to the external road network and principles for managing internal movements within the masterplan areas.
Masterplan Input: Transport and Movement Chapter
- High level modelling assessment, using the NTA Regional Model System, to provide the level of development which could be accommodated in each of the Masterplan areas both pre and post-delivery of MetroLink, as well as identifying the necessary short-term local transport measures required to ease traffic congestion and encourage sustainable travel.
- Internal and external walking and cycling networks to connect the masterplan areas to the wider community.
- Set out the key Transport and Movement objectives for the Masterplan lands.
Design support for the Masterplan layout.
We supported the architect on the road alignment, type of junctions and cross sections to be provided.